Thursday 25 April 2019

Figure Stones - Pitch Black?

The dark matter found on my figure stones, so what is it? an easy assumption to draw is birch bark tar or pitch, a glue recipe from ancient times. This is the conclusion I drew previously.

However, I collected samples of  the tar-like substance from three of my flint stone finds, this to me was a deliberate deposition of an ancient pigment or glue. Using IR Spectroscopy, I sent them to be individually tested in a laboratory by professionals along with an expected spectra of birch bark pitch for comparison with my samples.


Above picture: These are the finds I took the samples from, all finds are from my site here in the UK, none of which I considered as a blade tool or 'standard' flint find, but I did recognize them as artistic objects, artifacts, modified, figure stones etc..

Stone A,  a worked flint with a large seemingly formless deposition of the tar like material.

Stone B, a worked figure stone showing painting, masking, etching in or on of a tar like material.  

Stone C, a figure stone showing out stretched clothed arm and hand and enigmatic eye imagery. The tar like materials deposition, etching or scratching can be seen in the post here: Figure Stones - Prehistoric Clothing.

I knew the samples would have trace contaminates of flint and corresponding cortex, although to a minimum due to my collection method, and was expecting to find organic  compounds such as charcoal, betulin, and iron pyrite.

So as for the results? I was firmly told my samples did not match that of the birch bark pitch IR spectra supplied, so am I now in the dark for what the samples may be? not quite, with further analysis the test results prove very interesting.



Above picture: Two samples of each A, B,C were tested and the IR spectra are aligned for comparison in the six graphs, the obvious conclusion that can be drawn is that the three samples have a very similar composition of organic compounds and elements, that would also suggest they are deliberate depositions, drawing out chance,  a proof of agency in this test case scenario? I do think so.

So what else can be gleamed from the IR spectra results? Well they can be run through a database to find matches for the compounds in the samples.



Above picture: Notice number 9. on the list :- Urses Spelaeus (cave bear) 47. % so which half of the cave bear is that? front or back? It doesn't quite work like that, it's showing a 47% match with the spectra of a known cave bear sample, and of coarse that would only be one potential ingredient of the samples, and other compounds and contaminants would most likely mask areas of the spectra.


I was very surprised at how specific the results are, however I do not know the scope of the database used. The item on the list I find most interesting is number 10, Palaeontherium Curtum an ancient type of Rhino believed to have gone extinct some 33 million years ago.